Partnership with the Western Cape Government (WCG)
Following a summit with the Cabinet and Premier of the then WCG held on 16 October 2006 (click here to Report on CHEC - Provincial Government Summit 2006), a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed. Its key objectives are to:
- establish structures that enable the Western Cape institutions and the Provincial Government to develop and implement shared strategies for advancing social and economic development;
- promote the Western Cape as a 'Learning Region', which can be used to attract people to the region to study and contribute to growth and development in the Western Cape province;
- facilitate the regular sharing of information on the plans of higher education institutions and the Provincial Government;
- develop a three year plan to address the mutually agreed strategic initiatives; and
- strengthen the contribution of higher education to the provincial economy.
Members of the Western Cape Government joined CHEC representatives on the Barcelona leg of a study tour to the North-West and North-east of England and Barcelona in 2009. The tour enabled the group to study best practice with regard to higher education partnerships with government, business and civil society (click here to view the Report to the CHEC Board: Preliminary visit to Barcelona, 2009).
Download the newsletter.
Joint Task Team
The partnership is co-ordinated by the Joint Task team, co-chaired by Professor Shaun Pather of UWC on behalf of CHEC and Dr Laurine Platzky, Deputy Director-General in the Department of the Premier for the WCG. The Joint Task Team consists of a representative from each of the universities, the CHEC CEO and representatives from each of the Provincial Strategic Groups.
Programme of Action
The current first Programme of Action was designed to align with the Provincial Strategic Plan 2014 - 2019. Four areas for engagement were identified:
- Resilience, Human Settlements and Climate Change
- Digital Innovation for Inclusive Development
- Social Inclusion, Youth and Skills Development
- Knowledge Partnerships.
Click here to view the Provincial Strategic Plan 2014 - 2019.
Joint Research Programme
Single institutional and multi-institutional projects are funded annually through the Joint Task Team.
Two newsletters list and / or summarise completed and newly-funded projects. Click here for the 2015 Newsletter and click here for the first 2016 Newsletter.
Other collaborations with the Western Cape Government:
- The George- Knysna Railway Line
- Development of a road safety implementation programme for the Western Cape
- The Premier's Council for Skills, the Technical Working Group and various task teams
- Africa Day Celebrations, 25 May 2016